Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Grouping woes and 3216 reflection

I just realized for my previous post I kept ranting about the china/google situation that I left out my post show-and-tell session.

Lets get that in first.
Apparently everyone was talking about prof Ben's speech, on learning how to learn and stuff..

What I think, really affected me is when he said that teaching is a calling, and that he wants to teach students to learn how to learn. I just read an article on how students from 清华 just blindly regurgitate books and teachers who try creative methods get punished by the school and the party.. And here we are, given the chance to do anything we want and magnificently flop, to work with all these talented people(seriously, with that kind of show-and-tell, we can charge performance fees) is a really lucky oppurtunity.

Next up, 'the world is in deep shit'.. Really.. not just the economy.. For the last 4000 years, the human race population is kept under wraps by the most efficient forms of population control, War and Famine. Now, war is minimal and the worse type of famine is flu, people are living longer than ever, and are wanting more than ever. Yet it is econs 101 that wants are unlimited but resources are finite. So we keep taxing the planet itself, like prof Ben said, energy is the big thing, its the most important thing we take from the environment.

In keynes theory(correct me if I'm wrong) the Economy is NOT zero-sum, meaning that its possible to have every country in the world having positive economic growth.. however, we can't really sustain that, since our planet will run out of resources really really fast. Already the US is left with 40 years of steel and 20 years of coal, so...

Well.. i don't really know what I can do to help, but I can jolly well try.. Laurence got it right, 我生存的意义就是, 让世界因为有我的存在, 改变一点点.

Ok.. Now onwards to ranting.. If you do NOT already have an application group by this moment, DON"T think of getting an 'actual' designer. They're all taken by now.
I mean, think about it, we're the best NUS is supposed to offer(well, at least, the better) just get any 3 others, suck it up and learn how put your ideas into reality, I dunno how hard its gonna be, but I sure as hell am gonna try. I've seen groups with 4 engineers/ computers(socians).. Mine is something like that, and I am pretty sure all of us will be both designing and coding.

Take a step back, take a deep breadth, have some self confidence, and forget about grades.. Given the average intellect of the class, I'm pretty sure all of us will do well as long as we put in the requisite effort/all-nighters..

I guess thats all for now.. I just finished a marathon chatting session looking for group members consisting at its peak, 2 FB convo, 3 MSN convo, 2 Gchat convo, 1 Wave, and 2 QQ conversations, at the same time.. Finally done, yet still I'm 1 short for my seminar group.. Please drop me a msg if interested.. Thanks..

3 comments:

Eli James said...

If I remember correctly, Keynesian theory is centered around the management of scarce resources. It's the techno-utopianists who believe that economics is not a zero sum game.

But yeah - don't worry too much about teams la. =) I'm sure everyone would find people they'd enjoy working with.

Laurence said...

waa... i feel so honored. you actually quoted me =) thx!

actually, no need to change the world lar, no matter how small. if at least one life is better off because i lived, i would be very happy le. of course i won't stop there, but yeah, i guess that the start.

and yea, i agree the whole world is really in deep shit. we have to start acting in areas that we can.

Li Yen said...

If you do NOT already have an application group by this moment, DON"T think of getting an 'actual' designer. They're all taken by now.
LOL.

I've seen groups with 4 engineers/ computers(socians)..
Engineering students are called engineers, Computing students are called computers?! Anyway our grp is now all programmers, haha. But we can still utilize the designing skills that humans instinctively have:)